Monday, October 15, 2007

School Time

So the children like candy. They REALLY like candy.

A Smattering of Classes

Advanced Class:

Then:

They scream. Oh, those angsty middle school boys scream. Loud! They screamed so loud, in fact, that Eden, my not-so-friendly barely-speaks-English Korean teacher next door came and yelled at them to shut up. At least I think that's how the Korean translates.

They screamed some more. They all forgot their textbooks. And one in four remembered to do the homework. So I quizzed them. And then they cheated. I screamed. I banged my fists on the desk. Instantly straight! By God, I'll scream some more. One boy looks so distraught that he stays behind to clean the wipe board and gives me puppy-dog eyes.

Now:

Who wants to answer the question? Yawn. You'll get CANDY! "Oh, teacher! Teacher! Me! My hand was up first!"

Now they all do their homework. And they like Jon Teacher.

Genius Ivy:

These kids are smart. And dorky. They remind me of a middle school me. They giggle and pick on each other. Always answer the questions right. But, dang, that girl, the one who answers all the questions, the one who cuts the other students off, the one who says so and so did such and such wrong on the assignment--were we really that annoying?

These kids are "Classic Korea." I give them example sentences to help prepare for their presentation to "Explain Something." You know, try the construction, "In order for X to happen, Y must Z."

"Teacher! Teacher!"
"Yes?"
"How many of these examples should we use?"
"As many as you want."

Next day:

"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."
"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."
"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."
"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."
"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."
"In order for X to happen, Y must Z."

"Okay, okay. But can you tell me what Y means?"
"What?!??!?!? Teacher! No questions! You no fair!"

Advanced TOEFL Prep
(late middle, early high school)

MWF:

"How is everyone today?"
I look at kid with head on desk.
"Tired?"
Chirp, chirp.
"Sleepy?"
Chirp, chirp.
"Candy??????"
Chir, chirp...
"Yes. Tired. Too much work."
"Here's your candy."
He puts the candy in his mouth and places his head back on the desk while eating it.

TTh

Wow. These kids have great English.

"What do you like to do with your free time?"

Soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer.

"What about you, boy in the back row?"

"I like soccer, too. But I also LOVE fashion. Like this shirt!!!! And this bag! I love BAGS!"

OMG! I think I found my first gay Korean...


xoxoxoxoxo

5 comments:

Super Jaz said...

Ha! That's great! Well frustrating really. . but at least you are keeping your sense of humor. I learned myself that candy is the ultimate motivator of kids when I was tutoring my cousin last year. Just be glad you aren't in the US where it's now illegal. Take care of yourself over there.

Leora said...

miss ya boo boo boo your blog comments are neither sporadic not reductive (no one comments on it anyway) and i love to hear yo stories whenever you can :)

Leora said...

JON GOT YO ACT TOGETHER AND POST AGAIN.

Unknown said...

I was in the LiSci building when I heard an asian graduate student try to make a date with a foreigner on the phone. They agreed on thayer street. Then grad student says:

"Okay. You prefer sandwich or chinese food?"

other ("Huh?")

"You prefer sanwich or chinese food?"

"What kind of sandwich?"

Pause, And repeat...

Jonny! Hello! So glad to be out of grimy dial up internet world and able to finally read your blog! I want pictures!!!

And me shawn and my mom may be coming to visit you shortly....

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.